he countdown is on! As I write this blog, it’s only 72 days until support for Windows Server 2003 finishes. That’s right, the workhorse of many an organisation is about to lose support. If you haven’t yet, then you need to seriously start planning to move the last of your Windows Server 2003 installations across the the latest version, Server 2012 R2. That will mean big changes, not only the operating system but all your applications and infrastructure will need to be upgraded, or migrated, to Server 2012 R2. It’s been more than 7 years now since Microsoft replaced the last of their Server 2003 installations with Server 2008. For a while there was one, lonely server left still running the older operating system. He became a bit of a star, “Lone Server” had his own blog, even had a short movie made about being Microsoft’s last 2003 Server. Clever, and well worth a look at.
What resources are there? One of the best options is Microsoft’s Virtual Academy (MVA). They have a number of sessions that instruct organisations on how to plan and then migrate to Server 2012. You can download these sessions or watch at your own pace online. Andrew McMurray presents the first of many MVA sessions. Technet has articles, planning guides and tools available. Migration guides are readily available and a good starting point.
Not only do your operating systems and applications need to be migrated or upgraded, just like that Lone Server, your own skills and certifications also need to be brought up to date. Microsoft have a fantastic, limited-time offer that allows you to take any Microsoft Certified Professional (MCP) exam between 5 January 2015 and 31 May 2015 and get a free Second Shot exam if you don’t pass.
Even better, if you hold any of the certifications listed below; sitting one course at DDLS, MOC 20417 – Upgrading Your Skills to MCSA Windows Server 2012 and writing one exam, 70-417, will upgrade you to a Microsoft Certified Solutions Associate (MCSA) Windows Server 2012. This is a great opportunity, especially for those who haven’t had a chance to upgrade their qualifications since Server 2000. Take your time, peruse the list then book your Upgrade Course.
Windows Server 2008 Certifications:
- MCSA: Windows Server 2008
- MCITP: Server Administrator on Windows Server 2008
- MCITP: Enterprise Administrator on Windows Server 2008
- MCITP: Virtualization Administrator on Windows Server 2008 R2
- MCITP: Enterprise Messaging Administrator 2010
- MCITP: Lync Server Administrator 2010
- MCITP: SharePoint Administrator 2010
- MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Administrator on Windows 7
Windows Server 2003 Certifications (and earlier!)
- MCDST: Windows XP
- MCSE: Windows 2000
- MCSA Windows 2000
- MCSA: Security on Windows 2000
- MCSA: Security on Windows 2003
- MCSA: Windows Server 2003
- MCSE: Security on Windows 2000
- MCSE: Security on Windows 2003
- MCSE: Windows Server 2003
- MCSA: Messaging on Windows Server 2000
- MCSA: Messaging on Windows Server 2003
- MCSE: Messaging on Windows Server 2000
- MCSE: Messaging on Windows Server 2003
Remember, the countdown finishes on 14 July 2015. Don’t be the lone 2003 IT person in your organisation, upgrade!
CCSE+, MSCE, MCT, MVP